18 January 2008

Executive Decisions

The good thing about having your own business is that you can take "Executive Decisions". In my old job I wasn't allowed to dabble in this area. As a matter of fact, taking decisions of any kind (be it executive or not) was not a priority on anybody's list. People would start to look nervous and squirrel away whenever the word "decide" or "decision" would come up during a meeting or conversation.

Not for me, not anymore.

Of course the downside of the whole thing is that there is only me and myself - with no money-, to jump into action to make things work.


For example: One of my major works-in-process is the "inspiration content", which I planned loooong ago for my website. I need to think of stuff to make (stare at the ribbons above), make stuff (trial and error), take pictures (yes, well...need to read up on how to do this properly), dream up a website (fun thing) and write tutorials (the real thing). It just takes time. Lot's of time. Ages. And this sometimes worries me.



So, I started thinking a bit and in the end took the "Executive Decision" that there is no reason to do all things as quickly as possible - just to do the things I cán, as good as possible. I'm in the Slow Zone. And that's just right.

3 comments:

Fledgling said...

I say: Do what you can. Know what you do best. Do that. Pay somebody to do the stuff you don't do best. Ask for help. Look for mutually beneficial partnerships. Make decisions. Even a bad decision is better than no decision, because you can make a good decision knowing what you know about the bad decision. Make room for mistakes. Consider even expensive mistakes to be the tuition on your Do-It-Yourself MBA. Have a vision. A vision, which is a reflection of yourself, your ethics and your goals. Make it simple. Simple enough, so that you can remember it all the time. Read Porter, Csikszentmihalyi, and "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"

You'll move mountains, 98 and 3/4% guaranteed.

I'm going on and on. Did I mention have a company song and morning cheer? ;-)

ALL the best, N.

stinkypeteandcompany said...

When i get into that little executive box, I like to remind myself of what I heard a terribly terribly prolific and successful author say when asked "how she wrote so much." She responded, "I just write. I sit down, and I flex my fingers and I write. Sometimes it's genius, mostly it's not; but the thing is, you can fix a crappy page...a blank one...not so much."
and hear hear to the fledgling Nancy... I want a morning cheer!
Sarah

mooi hoor... said...

Thank you girls, it's great to read your encouraging words. I'm finding out what I do best, as each job teaches you more about yourself - even if you already knew a bit here and there. And Nancy, I cannot agree more with you on having a vision. No vision, no drive, no morning cheer!