20 July 2007

...city life

Yesterday I decided to take a little stroll before picking up the kids. Just to take advantage of the beautiful weather we are having around here these days. So I took my camera and went. After a couple of shots I realized I had a theme going on...


Fences.
To keep the dogs in...

...or to keep them out...


Old an' rusty...




...modern and a strange mix between very uninviting and openness.



Especially the last one got me thinking. Maybe that's what living in a city requires. A gate, a door a fence. Make a clear statement on where your "small patch" begins. Create a quiet place to withdraw from all the hustle and bustle outside. A piece of wood or iron that says "invitation only".

A city protects from the dangers of nature and enables unequaled prosperity but at the same time its inhabitants need protection from the city itself. I do love my city, but sometimes I just need to leave it for a while. Those fences do not only keep things out, but they also keep me in. After a while I tend to forget how much I need to stand on a hilltop, looking ahead for miles, see that rainstorm coming up and just know I'll get soaked.

2 comments:

Fledgling said...

Good fences make good neighbors ...

Once upon a time, all houses in America were built with front porches, places on each home, where visitors knew they were welcome. Somehow, with the advent of the automobile, front porches disappeared. Was there a connection? Maybe we weren't strolling by anymore. If we were driving to someone's house, well, then we expected to go on inside.

These are lovely images, though. Those fancy swirls seem to say, BLEIBEN SIE DRAUSSEN!, but in a nice way ;-)

-N.

mooi hoor... said...

Oh yes, front porches - I always love to see them, with Hollywood swings or rocking chairs, drinking ice tea (or beer).